LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) screen is an electronic display module. A 20x4 LCD display is very basic module and is very commonly used in various devices and circuits. These modules are preferred over seven segments and other multi segment LEDs. The reasons being: LCDs are economical; easily programmable; have no limitation of displaying special & even custom characters (unlike in seven segments), animations and so on.
A 20x4 LCD means it can display 20 characters per line and there are 4 such lines. In this LCD each character is displayed in 5x8 pixel matrix. This LCD has two registers, namely, Command and Data.
- Operating Voltage is 4.7V to 5.3V
- Current consumption is 1mA without backlight
- Alphanumeric LCD display module, meaning can display alphabets and numbers
- Consists of 4 rows and each row can print 20 characters.
- Each character is build by a 5×8 pixel box
- Can work on both 8-bit and 4-bit mode
- It can also display any custom generated characters
How to use LCD Display - Video Tutorial